HOW WE WORK WITH YOU
How do I make an appointment?
- Phone us at 514-340-8222, ext. 25626 or send an email to CBTmontreal@gmail.com .
- Leave a message with your name, phone number, and a brief description of the problem you are experiencing.
- You will receive a return phone call from one of the psychologists on the team, usually within 1 to 2 days.
- You may be asked for a slightly more detailed description of your problem; you will be informed that our services are not covered by Medicare; you are not required to have a referral from another health professional.
- We will send you a questionnaire package by email, you will complete the items and bring the completed questionnaires with you to your first appointment with your designated therapist, and this first appointment usually takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
What is our therapeutic approach?
Our therapeutic method is Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-I). Cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia is a structured program that helps you identify thoughts and behaviors that cause or worsen sleep problems and replace these with habits that promote sound sleep. Unlike sleeping pills, CBT-I helps you overcome the underlying causes of your sleep problems.
To identify how to best treat your insomnia, your sleep therapist may have you keep a detailed sleep diary for one to two weeks.
How does cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia work?
The cognitive part of CBT-I teaches you to recognize and change beliefs that affect your ability to sleep. This type of therapy can help you control or eliminate negative thoughts and worries that keep you awake.
The behavioral part of CBT-I helps you develop good sleep habits and avoid behaviors that keep you from sleeping well.
Unlike pills, CBT-I addresses the underlying causes of insomnia rather than just relieving symptoms. But it takes time — and effort — to make it work. If you are using sleep medication when you start therapy, we may begin with a combination of sleep medication and CBT-I in the beginning stage of therapy.
How often will I be seen?
Clients are often seen once every two weeks, but that may vary according to client need and preferences
What kind of results can I expect?
Results may depend on symptom severity and duration. Most people experience improvement and, for a large percentage, improvement is significant.
How long will treatment take?
Typically, sleep problems can be resolved within 10 - 20 sessions